The Counseling Center is operating in a telehealth capacity for Spring 2021. Review our telehealth updates before initiating services: Counseling Center and COVID-19 Updates | Counseling Center
If you are experiencing a mental health emergency between 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. please call 919.515.2423. For after-hours mental health emergencies, call 919.515.2423 and select option #2 to speak with an on-call counselor. In the case of a life-threatening emergency, call 911.
Please call the Counseling Center at 919.515.2423 before beginning paperwork if you fall into any of the following categories:
- You are not physically in the state of North Carolina.
- Our state licensing laws do not allow us to offer therapy services across state lines. However, we are able to offer a one-time consultation with a clinician to assist you in finding mental health services in the state you are currently in.
- You are under 18 years old.
- You have previously received services at the Counseling Center.
- You are wanting to meet with an Academic Counselor for withdrawal processes and/or dropping a course/s.
- It is after 3 p.m. and triage hours are over for the day.
- You are not enrolled in classes for the current semester.
- You have an urgent need.
- You are seeking general information about the Counseling Center.
If you are NEW to the Counseling Center please follow the steps outlined below:
- Click the link below and select “1” to complete your paperwork online
- Try to complete all five forms within the hour you begin. The paperwork usually takes about 15 minutes to complete.
- If you start the paperwork and are unable to finish it or need any assistance with completing the paperwork, please contact us immediately.
- Once you have started your forms you will receive an email with a Zoom link to join our virtual waiting room.
- Click on the Zoom link after you have completed your paperwork. Ensure you are in a private location for the duration of the appointment.
- You will be connected to the next available counselor. Depending on volume, you may experience a brief wait (typically 10-15 mins).
- Once connected with the next available counselor you and the counselor will discuss your concerns and create a plan on how to address your current needs. This meeting usually takes anywhere between 20 minutes and an hour.
- The link to the paperwork is turned off at 5 p.m. and you will not be able to access the forms until it is turned back on at 8 a.m. the next business day (Monday to Friday)
- If you do not complete your paperwork the same day you started it, you will be contacted by email the next business day with instructions on the remaining forms you still need to complete. In some cases we may reach out to you the same day.
- Be aware that we have embedded counselors in Athletics, Advanced Analytics and the Veterinary School. If you are a student in these programs you may choose to reach out directly to the embedded counselor with your program.
- Please let the triage clinician know if you are in CALS and interested in the CALS Counseling Services program.
Making a follow-up appointment
If you’ve been seen by your counselor recently and need to schedule a follow-up appointment, please call us at 919.515.2423.
Rescheduling or canceling your appointment
To reschedule an appointment, please call us at 919.515.2423. You may cancel an appointment by completing the appointment cancellation online form, but you’ll need to call during office hours to reschedule. Please note you must cancel at least 24 hours in advance to avoid a $25 “no-show/late cancellation” charge.
If you’re having a mental health emergency
If you or someone you know needs immediate help, a counselor is always available. Emergency services can be accessed 24 hours per day, 365 days per year. If you’re experiencing a mental health crisis and need immediate help, you don’t need an appointment to see us.
- For emergencies that are within regular business hours (Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm)
- Please call us at 919.515.2423. We will work you in during regular business hours.
- For after regular business hours
- Please contact our on-call counselor by calling 919.515.2423 and select option 2.
The following crisis resources can be utilized by both NC State students and non-students:
- Emergency Medical Services – 911, or visit the nearest hospital emergency room
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (24/7) – 1-800-273-TALK (8255) or https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/chat/ for online chat
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) Treatment Referral Helpline (Monday through Friday, 8am to 8pm ET) – 1-877-SAMHSA (726-4727)
- National Sexual Assault Hotline (24/7) – 1-800-656-HOPE (4673)
- National Domestic Violence Hotline (24/7) – 1-800-799 SAFE (7233) or 1-800-787 3224 (TTY)
- National Eating Disorders Association Helpline (Monday through Thursday, 9am to 9pm EST; Friday, 9am to 5pm ET; excluding holidays)- 1-800-931-2237
- IMAlive – https://www.imalive.org/ for online chat
Additional local resources can be accessed through the following link: Wake County Crisis & Assessment Local Resources
The above resources are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by the NC State Counseling Center.
Academic “Walk-In” Services
Academic walk-in services are available to assist students with academic issues such as:
- Retroactive withdrawal (dropping all classes from a previous semester)
- Late course drop or drop below full-time (dropping one or more but not all classes)
- Letter of support (for professor, financial aid office, housing, etc.) if you do not currently have a counselor. If you have a counselor at the NCSU Counseling Center, please ask the counselor at your next appointment for assistance with a letter.
For Fall 2020 and Spring 2021, academic walk-in hours are virtual and during the following times:
- Monday, 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Friday, 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Students can call 919.515.2423 to initiate academic services.
You’re able to complete retroactive withdrawal paperwork at the Counseling Center at any time (even if it’s not during academic walk-in hours), but your academic request may take longer to process. You may also fax your retroactive withdrawal request using the forms on our website.