Program Goals/Objectives and Values – Doctoral Psychology Internship
Trainees will demonstrate the ability to think about, and integrate into their professional functioning, overarching ideas, values and skills, that we believe are essential for practicing as competent entry level professionals.
Objective(s) for Goal #1
- Objective 1A) Trainees will demonstrate competence in multicultural awareness and sensitivity; and will integrate multicultural competence into their functioning and development in all other goal areas specified as part of the training environment.
- Objective 1B) Trainees will demonstrate competence in their professional judgment and their ability to practice in a manner consistent with legal and ethical principles, practice guidelines and agency policy; and interns will integrate ethical competence into all other goal areas specified as part of the training environment.
- Objective 1C) Trainees will demonstrate competence in integrating a scientific approach into their practice of psychology; and will integrate scientific thinking into other goal areas specified as part of the training experience.
- Objective 1D) Trainees will demonstrate competence in their ability to have appropriate professional interpersonal relationships.
- Objective 1E) Trainees will demonstrate competence in their ability for self-reflection and self-awareness and for integrating this awareness into their practice in psychology.
- Objective 1F) Trainees will demonstrate competence in utilizing available opportunities to develop and grow as professionals.
Trainees will be competent to provide interventions and clinical services as entry level practicing professionals.
Objectives for Goal #2
- Objective 2A) Trainees will demonstrate competency in provision of individual therapy.
- Objective 2B) Trainees will demonstrate competency in provision of group therapy.
- Objective 2C) Trainees will demonstrate competency in provision of triage services.
- Objective 2D) Trainees will demonstrate competency in provision of crisis services.
- Objective 2E) Trainees will demonstrate competence in provision of psychological assessment services.
- Objective 2F) Trainees will demonstrate competence in provision of supervision to other clinicians.
- Objective 2G) Trainees will demonstrate competency in skills necessary to provide effective consultation, liaison, outreach and prevention services.
- There is a respect for differences and an appreciation of diversity in all of its forms
- All clients will be welcomed and affirmed
- A multidisciplinary staff is ideal in sharing a number of perspectives, skills, and experiences, and more value is gained from this exchange. All members of the staff are equally valued for their contributions regardless of discipline or years of training and experience
- Training and supervision should be provided by highly qualified individuals who have a passion for and dedication to working with developing professionals
- Ethical behavior is the core of professional development and is essential in any role model or agency wishing to provide training
- Trainees should be encouraged to learn from supervisors, mentors and peers
- Interns will be welcomed with a hope that they will challenge themselves to grow, will develop the ability to value the importance of “self” as a therapy resource and will leave internship equipped with skills which will promote change in others