Walk-In Services

While many of our services require prior appointments, we offer walk-in hours for certain situations.

Mental Health Emergencies

If you’re experiencing a mental health crisis and need immediate help, you don’t need an appointment to see us.

Walk-in hours for mental health emergencies are available:

  • 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. weekdays

Please come to the center or call us at 919.515.2423, and we will work you in during regular business hours.

For emergencies after regular business hours, please contact our on-call counselor by calling Public Safety at 919.515.2423. They will ask for a contact number and have a counselor call you right away.

Academic-Related Issues

Academic walk-in services are available to assist students with academic issues such as:

  • Current semester withdrawal (dropping all classes)
  • Retroactive withdrawal (dropping all classes from a previous semester)
  • Late course drop or drop below full-time (dropping one or more but not all classes)
  • Letter of support (for professor, financial aid office, housing, etc.) if you do not currently have a counselor. If you have a counselor at the NCSU Counseling Center, please ask the counselor at your next appointment for assistance with a letter.

Our academic walk-in hours are:

  • Monday, 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
  • Tuesday, 12:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
  • Wednesday, 10:00 a.m. – 1 :00 p.m.
  • Thursday, 12:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
  • Friday, 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.

Please arrive at least 30 minutes before academic walk-in hours end, as you’ll need to complete paperwork before you can be seen. If you don’t complete your paperwork by the end of walk-in hours, you may be asked to return during another walk-in shift.

Your wait time will depend on the number of students waiting at that time. If you prefer to have an appointment, please schedule an academic intake appointment.

You’re able to complete withdrawal paperwork at the Counseling Center at any time (even if it’s not during academic walk-in hours), but your academic request may take longer to process. You may also fax your academic withdrawal request using the forms <link to Forms page> on our website.