NC State Mental Health Ambassadors are a group of undergraduate and graduate students with a passion for mental health awareness and wellness education. NC State MHAs will assist in the development and presentation of various topics for classroom presentations, campus partners and community events. Our goal is to utilize the benefit of peer to peer education and support to continue to decrease stigma around mental health, help seeking and self-care. In addition to a significant time commitment, this program will require students to have strong communication and organizational skills, work well in a group, display maturity and empathy and a high level of responsibility. Profiles of our current Ambassadors can be found here.
NC State MHAs will be thoroughly trained in various areas of mental health and wellness. Each participant will shadow current staff members and then be paired with other MHAs for all programs. Ambassadors will be prepared and knowledgeable to educate peers in an effort to positively impact the NC State campus community by raising mental health awareness through preventative education.
NC State Mental Health Ambassadors will gain
- Solid leadership experience and opportunities to serve as group officers
- Completion of Certified Peer Educator (CPE) program through NASPA (Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education)
- Significant public speaking experience that will boost graduate school and/or career credentials
- Professional references
- Connections with other likeminded peers and mental health professionals
Students will be trained in and offer standardized programs on the following topics
- Introduction to the Counseling Center and how to refer a friend
- Stress Management
- Time Management and Academic Skills
- Healthy Relationships
- Diversity and Multicultural Awareness
- Communication Skills and Assertiveness/Conflict Resolution
- Anxiety and Depression Reduction strategies
- Assist with QPR (Question, Persuade and Refer) Suicide Prevention Program
- Mental Health Screenings and Tabeling Events including Suicide Prevention Vigil, Stop the Stigma events, information fairs and Earth Fair.
- There will 12 hours of training in August (dates to be determined by availability). All NC State Mental Health Ambassadors must be available to attend.
- NC State Mental Health Ambassadors will meet weekly on Friday afternoons from 1:30- 3:00 in the Counseling Center. Students must commit to not miss more than 3 meetings per semester.
- NC State MHAs must complete at least 5 outreach presentations per semester. All presentations are co-presented with senior staff or other MHAs.
- NC State MHAs is a one year commitment. Only apply if you can commit to both semesters.
- Must have and maintain a minimum of 2.8 GPA.
- If you just completed your first semester at NC State, please share your most recent GPA.
We will begin accepting applications March 12th.
The application is due April 6th.
Applicants are expected to have 2-3 recommenders complete the following online form. References should come from those who are able to evaluate you in a professional context (professors, advisors, employers, etc.).
Applications will be reviewed and interviews scheduled within 2 weeks of the April 6th deadline. Feel free to send any questions to above e-mail.