Did You Know?
- Over 4,000 students, nearly 1 in 6, seek services at the NC State Counseling Center every year and there is an increasing severity in those who do.
- 32% of college students & 27% of NC State students reports being so depressed in the past year that it was difficult to function.
- 51% of college students & 49% of NC State students report overwhelming anxiety during the past year.
- 7% of college students & 7% of NC State students have seriously considered suicide in the past year.
- 45% of college students & 44 % of NC State students reported feeling hopeless in the past year.
- Over twice as many students reported significant negative academic impact from emotional distress than medical concerns (flu/strep, etc).
- 1/3 of all college students have sought mental health treatment prior to coming to college.
- While half of college students would encourage a friend to seek help for emotional issues, fewer than one-fourth would seek help themselves.