Case Management and Off-Campus Referrals

The Counseling Center is proud to offer case management services for students. Some students may find that they are in need of services outside of the Counseling Center. Connecting with a mental health professional in the community, whether in the Raleigh area or back home during semester breaks or after graduation, is a new process for many students. The case managers aim to make this process less stressful. To get connected with a case manager, please call 919.515.2423 and initiate the triage process.

Case Managers are available at the Counseling Center to:

  • Meet with students to help determine goals for therapy, access to services, and appropriate level of care.
  • Provide students with a list of providers that meet their individualized needs, are accessible, and provide services at a reasonable fee given students’ financial resources.
  • Direct students to appropriate assistance for concerns related to insurance and coverage for mental health services.
  • Problem solve about any obstacles (cost, transportation, time) that may arise.
  • Provide follow-up support to students to ensure that a strong connection has been made with an outside provider.
  • Additional referral support if needed.

Examples for Needing an Off-Campus Referral: 

  • Request for formal psychological assessment (e.g., ADHD or psychoeducational evaluations)
  • Request for medications not prescribed by Counseling Center’s psychiatrists
  • Request for services to fulfill students’ court-mandated assessment or treatment requirements
  • A desire or need to be seen weekly or more than once a week
  • A desire or need for ongoing long-term therapy (e.g., more than 6 sessions)

Off-Campus Referral Database 

The NC State University Counseling Center offers a referral database powered by MiResource of community mental health providers. Each provider was invited and vetted by the NC State Counseling Center staff.  This database is available to anyone wanting to search for mental health care in their community. Common reasons for seeking off-campus care include wanting longer-term treatment or specialized services, preferring an off-campus provider, or ineligibility to receive Counseling Center services. In addition to MiResource referral database a list of national databases is provided to offer specialized and diverse referral options. 

Information for Community Mental Health Providers

The Counseling Center offers the MiResource referral database of off-campus mental health professionals. Students and Counseling Center Staff use the database to search for community care. This allows for students to be referred to appropriate off-campus resources when their needs are beyond on-campus services or when students prefer community care.

If you are interested in learning how you as a community provider can be listed in the NC State University MiResource database please contact our office at If you are already listed in MiResource you can login at NC State MiResource. For technical questions about MiResource, please contact and for questions about referrals please contact or call 919.515.2423.