The Counseling Center is proud to offer case management services for students. Some students may find that they are in need of services outside of the Counseling Center. Connecting with a mental health professional in the community, whether in the Raleigh area or back home during semester breaks or after graduation, is a new process for many students. The case managers aim to make this process less stressful. To get connected with a case manager, please call 919.515.2423 and initiate the triage process.
Case Managers are available at the Counseling Center to:
- Meet with students to help determine goals for therapy, access to services, and appropriate level of care.
- Provide students with a list of providers that meet their individualized needs, are accessible, and provide services at a reasonable fee given students’ financial resources.
- Direct students to appropriate assistance for concerns related to insurance and coverage for mental health services.
- Problem solve about any obstacles (cost, transportation, time) that may arise.
- Provide follow-up support to students to ensure that a strong connection has been made with an outside provider.
- Additional referral support if needed.
Examples for Needing an Off-Campus Referral:
- Request for formal psychological assessment (e.g., ADHD or psychoeducational evaluations)
- Request for medications not prescribed by Counseling Center’s psychiatrists
- Request for services to fulfill students’ court-mandated assessment or treatment requirements
- A desire or need to be seen weekly or more than once a week
- A desire or need for ongoing long-term therapy (e.g., more than 6 sessions)
The NC State University Counseling Center offers the following information about mental health referral resources in the community. Please utilize this database to search for off-campus services if you want longer-term treatment, specialized services, prefer an off-campus provider, or if you are ineligible to receive Counseling Center services (http://ncsu.rints.com/).
For Outside Providers
The Counseling Center maintains a database of off-campus mental health professionals, information regarding their practices, and their areas of therapeutic specialty. This allows us to refer students to appropriate off-campus resources when their needs are beyond our on-campus services. If you would like to be included in our referral database, or if you would like to update information about your practice, please contact our office at email@example.com.